Papers are organized by topic and by year of publication. Click on the citation to read the abstract on PubMed (if indexed) or on the journal website. Please email WorkingWithDepression@ubc.ca if you would like a .pdf version of an article.
- Efficacy of Bright Light Treatment, Fluoxetine, and the Combination in Patients With Nonseasonal Major Depressive Disorder: A Randomized Clinical Trial
Cognition in Mood Disorders:
- Lam RW, Kennedy SH, McIntyre RS, Khullar A: Cognitive Dysfunction in Major Depressive Disorder: Effects on Psychosocial Functioning and Implications for Treatment. Can J Psychiatry 59(12):649-654 2014.
- Evans VC, Iverson GL, Yatham LN, Lam RW: The relationship between neurocognitive and psychosocial functioning in major depressive disorder: a systematic review. J Clin Psyt 2014.
- Lam RW, Evans VC, Iverson GL, Yatham LN: A Systematic Review of Neurocognition and Functional Outcomes in Major Depressive Disorder. Poster presented at the 11th World Congress of Biological Psychiatry, June 2013.
- Evans VC, Chan SSL, Iverson GL, Bond DJ, Yatham LN, Lam RW: Systematic review of neurocognition and occupational functioning in major depressive disorder. Neuropsychiatry 3:97-105, 2013.
- Iverson, GL, Lam, RW: Rapid screening for perceived cognitive impairment in major depressive disorder. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 25:135-140, 2013.
Work and psychosocial functioning in Mood Disorders:
- Lam RW, Parikh SV, Michalak EE, Dewa CS, Kennedy SH: Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) consensus recommendations for functional outcomes in major depressive disorder. Annals Clin Psychiatry 27(2) 2015.
- Chiu LYL, Stewart K, Woo C, Yatham L, Lam RW: The relationship between burnout and depressive symptoms in patients with depressive disorders. J Affective Dis 172:361–366, 2015.
- Lam RW, Endicott J, Hsu MA, Fayyad R, Guico-Pabia C, Boucher M: Predictors of functional improvement in employed adults with major depressive disorder treated with desvenlafaxine. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 29:239-251 2014.
- Lam RW, Parikh SV, Ramasubbu R, Michalak EE, Tam EM, Axler A, Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, Manjunath CV: Effects of combined pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy for improving work functioning in major depressive disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry 203:358–365, 2013.
- Lam RW, Malhi GS, McIntyre RS, Demyttenaere K, Gorwood P, Michalak EE, Hegerl U: Fatigue and occupational functioning in major depressive disorder. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, May 2013.
- Lam RW, McLeod J, Woo C, Michalak EE, Yatham LN, Bond DJ: A Systematic Review of the Treatment Effects of Antidepressants on Occupational Functioning. Poster presented to the International Society for Affective Disorders, 2012.
- Lam RW, Michalak EE, Solomons K, Tam EM, Axler A, Yatham LN: Which depressive symptoms and medication side effects are perceived by patients as interfering most with work functioning? Depression Research and Treatment, Article ID 630206, 2012.
- Lam RW, Filteau MJ, Milev R: Clinical effectiveness: The importance of psychosocial functioning outcomes. Journal of Affective Disorders 132:S9-S13, 2011.
- Kauer-Sant’Anna M, Bond DJ, Lam RW, Yatham LN: Functional outcomes in first-episode patients with bipolar disorder: a prospective study from the Systematic Treatment Optimization Program for Early Mania project. Comprehensive Psychiatry 50:1-8, 2009.
- Michalak EE, Yatham LN, Maxwell V, Hale S, Lam RW: The impact of bipolar disorder upon work functioning: A qualitative analysis. Bipolar Disorder 9:126-43, 2007.
Quality of Life (QoL):
- Michalak EE, Torres IJ, Bond DJ, Lam RW, Yatham LN: The relationship between clinical outcomes and quality of life in first-episode mania: a longitudinal analysis. Bipolar Disorders 15:188–198, 2013.
- Michalak EE, Murray G, Young AH, Lam RW: Burden of Bipolar Depression: Impact of Disorder and Medications on Quality of Life. CNS Drugs 22:389-406, 2008.
- Michalak EE, Murray G, Levitt AJ, Levitan RD, Enns MW, Morehouse R, Tam EM, Cheung A, Lam RW: Quality of life as an outcome indicator in patients with seasonal affective disorder: results from the Can-SAD study. Psychological Medicine 37:727-736, 2007.
- Michalak EE, Yatham LN, Kolesar S, Lam RW: Bipolar disorder and quality of life: A patient-centered perspective. Quality of Life Research 15:25-37, 2006.
- Michalak EE, Yatham LN, Lam RW: Quality of life in bipolar disorder: A review of the literature. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes: 3:72, 2005.
- Michalak EE, Tam EM, Manjunath CV, Solomons K, Levitt AJ, Levitan R, Enns M, Morehouse R, Yatham LN, Lam RW: Generic and health-related quality of life in patients with seasonal and nonseasonal depression. Psychiatry Research 128:245-251, 2004.
Employee Assistance Programs:
- Lam RW, Wolinsky D, Kinsella C, Woo C, Cayley PM, Walker AB: The Prevalence and Impact of Depression in Self-Referred Clients Attending an Employee Assistance Program. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 54:1395-1399, 2012.
- Lam RW, Lutz K, Preece M, Cayley P, Walker AB: Telephone administered cognitive behavioural therapy for clients with depressive symptoms in an Employee Assistance Program: A pilot study. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 23:11-16, 2011.
- Preece M, Cayley PM, Scheuchl U, Lam RW: The relevance of an Employee Assistance Program to the treatment of workplace depression. Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health 21:67-77, 2005.
- Vataire AL, Aballea S, Antonanzas F, Hakkaart-van Roijen L, Lam RW, McCrone P, Persson U, Toumi M: Core Discrete Event Simulation Model for the Evaluation of Health Care Technologies in Major Depressive Disorder. Value in Health 183-195 2014.
- Cheung A, Dewa C, Michalak EE, Browne G, Levitt A, Levitan RD, et al: Direct Health Care Costs of Treating Seasonal Affective Disorder: A Comparison of Light Therapy and Fluoxetine. Depression Research and Treatment, Article ID 628434, 2012.
- Murray G: Relief of Chronic or Resistant Depression (Re-ChORD): A pragmatic, randomized, open-treatment trial of an integrative program intervention for chronic depression. Journal of Affective Disorders 123:243-248, 2010.
- Parikh SV, Lam RW, Ovanessian MM, Filteau MJ, Hill M: Evaluation of a disease management intervention designed to reduce depression disability. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 16:1-4, 2010.
- Hadjipavlou G, Lam RW: CANMAT Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Major Depressive Disorder in Adults: A Summary of Pharmacotherapy Recommendations. Mood & Anxiety Rounds, 2009.
- Lam RW, Michalak EE, Yatham LN: A new clinical rating scale for work absence and productivity: Validation in patients with major depressive disorder. BMC Psychiatry 9:78-84, 2009.
- Iverson GL & Lam RW. Rapid screening for perceived cognitive impairment in major depressive disorder. Ann Clin Psychiatry 2013; 25:135.